Kevin DeYoung has some good thoughts about art and the church’s thinking about art. I have set out his main points, but you should really read the post if you’re interested in this kind of thing. It’s good.
1. We must allow art to be art.
2. Art is valuable, but so are a lot of other things.
3. Art can do some things, and it can’t do some other things.
4. Our worship should strive for artistic excellence, but our worship will inevitably be “popular” and propositional.
5. Churches can learn to welcome artists, but artists should not expect the church to be an art gallery.
6. Artists can help us see our idols, and artists have idols of their own too.