Jerry Bridges provides twelve questions to ask ourselves that may reveal who our functional Savior is. Quite revealing of our propensity for idolatry.
- I am preoccupied with ________.
- If only ________, then I would be happy.
- I get my sense of significance from ________.
- I would protect and preserve ________ at any cost.
- I fear losing ________.
- The thing that gives me greatest pleasure is ________.
- When I lose ________, I get angry, resentful, frustrated, anxious, or depressed.
- For me, life depends on ________.
- The thing I value more than anything in the world is ________.
- When I daydream, my mind goes to________.
- The best thing I can think of is ________.
- The thing that makes me want to get out of bed in the morning is ________.
From The Bookends of the Christian Life (available to read for free on Google Books), by Jerry Bridges
HT: Harbor Church